Sunday, December 21, 2008

Busy busy busy

What a week this has been! Looking back it doesn't seem possible that we did everything we did in just 7 days.

Monday we went to Hidalgo to the Pump House. This is a museum on the Rio Grande where we learned about the steam-driven irrigation pumps that transformed Hidalgo County into an agricultural area. The guide was great telling us all about the pump house and about the surrounding town. And some of her own history as well, such as picking cotton.
Apparently cotton was a big crop here in South Texas, something I never knew before.



We went by trolley to see some of the historical buildings and to the now existing electric water pumps. You can look across the river into Mexico. Before crossing over the levy we could see part of the Border Wall that is being built.


Phil enjoyed the model train that they had downstairs at the pump house. Here Jack is pointing out something to him.



After we left the pump house I wanted to stop at the local cemeteries. I love old cemeteries. The
locals really love to decorate the graves, Ive never seen anything like it!



Tuesday Phil was supposed to fly to Kansas to pick up our Astro. Well, we didn't hear the alarm go off so instead of getting up at 4:30 to be at the airport before six, we woke up at six. After flying around the house trying to get things together and coming back to the house twice for things we forgot and then driving with the driver's side windshield fogged up so he couldn't see, we arrived at the airport to, you guessed it, to find his flight had already left. Luckily they put him on a later flight and didn't even charge him.

That flight was delayed though, and his connecting flight at Dallas-Fort Worth was also delayed, so instead of getting into KCI at 10:30 in the morning he arrived at 5:15 that evening. The weather was horrible with snow and ice and freezing temperatures.

Our friends who picked him up at the airport, begged him to spend the night but he insisted on driving to make up for lost time. He drove until 3:30 in the morning and stopped at Ardmore, OK for a couple hours of sleep. Knowing he was on the road in bad conditions, I didn't get any sleep either. he got up at 7:00 a.m. when i called him and got back on the road. he made it home 7:30 p.m. Wednesday night , and I was so happy to see him and my van. I love that van!

Meanwhile on Tuesday I went to the Ladies Luncheon at the clubhouse. I cooked crab wontons and everyone seemed to enjoy them. All of the food was delicious. And it was nice meeting some of the girls that I hadn't had a chance to meet yet.

Wednesday some of us were going to Mexico but the weather was lousy so we didn't go.
I was glad because I felt lousy from lack of sleep and I felt like a cold was coming on so I doped myself up with Tylenol and stayed in bed all day watching Season 7 of Scrubs.

Thursday we went out and did some shopping.

Friday we went to the potluck up at the clubhouse. I brought chicken casserole and red velvet cake. We played a few games of pool, boy did that bring back memories of my younger and wilder days. :)

Saturday I spent the day making my Christmas candy, truly one of my favorite things to do at Christmas. This year I made Peppermint Bark, Christmas Holly, Brandied Chocolate Covered Cherries, Broken Glass and Chocolate Pretzels.



I fixed the tins and made my deliveries today.



Books this week...Three more of Faye Kellerman's.
Movies...Season 7 of Scrubs and Meet Dave.
Meet Dave was cute and had some moments that were really funny.
So that's it for this week. hopefully this coming week will be a little more restful...wait a minute...this week is Christmas!
Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me some!