Sunday, February 1, 2009

A rut is a grave with the ends knocked out

The wonderful thing about Fulltiming is that it is impossible to get in a rut. The freedom of that is exhilarating!

This week was so full of adventure, life changing decisions and joy that I'm not sure I can get it all written down in this week's blog!

Tuesday a bunch of us Village people went on a riverboat cruise on the Rio Grande River. It was a beautiful day for the cruise. The cruise lasts about an hour, and we travel up the Rio Grande a way and then back down a way. The USA side is pretty undeveloped except for a couple of restaurants and RV parks. The Mexican side had privately owned homes with boat docks and beautiful public parks.

Here are pictures of the gang waiting to board the boat.

.





Tuesday night we girls went up to the clubhouse for chick flick night. We watched "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood". Everyone brought treats and goodies, and a good time was had by all.



Thursday Phil, Yvonne, Froggi Donna, Stu and I went to Progreso. We needed to get some medications, and since Donna and Stu hadn't been to Progreso before, we offered to be their guide. We had a great time.



One of the fascinating things we saw was this very talented young man spray painting vases.
His technique is amazing. Using plastic bags, pieces of cardboard, cans of spray paint and his imagination, he paints these beautiful scenes on glass vases and other items.



We bought the one he was working on in the picture.

Friday we went to an Excel class at the clubhouse. Our neighbor has been kind enough to offer PC classes to the residents. I can use an Excel spreadsheet once it has been built, but I've never been able to build one myself, even though my more than patient husband has tried to teach me. I did learn some things in the class, but since the class is on Friday and that is my house cleaning day, I probably won't attend the next one.

Friday evening we had a potluck to wish happy and safe travels to Pat and Mike McFall. They are leaving Retama Village on Monday. I wish Phil and I could have spent more time with them, but the days flew by while they were here. I made scalloped potatoes and cream cheese brownies. Everyone's food was delicious, as always. Pat made a cauliflower dish that everyone raved about.





Saturday morning we left early to go to South Padre Island for the Kite Festival. We went with
Dale and Mark, Gail and Bonnie, and Sheri and Rocky. I had never been to a kite festival, and I have to tell you it is astonishing. The kites are dazzling!







After the kite festival we went to Dirty Al's for lunch. This is the place that everyone tells you that you must go to for lunch when you are on the island.


The place is incredibly busy but the shrimp is great! Phil doesn't eat seafood so he ordered a hamburger, which they messed up completely, so he didn't have any lunch. Needless to say we won't be going back, but I'm glad I got to experience it once.

Saturday night we went to the Citrus Fiesta Parade.

Today we watched church then got ready for the Super Bowl. Go Steelers!

I made football cookies, a dip and hot wings.









Man, what a game! A real nail biter!

The most wonderful thing that happened this week, though, was that we finally bought a lot here in Retama Village!



Now, for the first time ever, we finally have a home of our own to come back to when the job is over!

Books this week: Three by Nevada Barr, her Anna Pidgeon series.
Movies this week: Righteous Kill with Al Pacino and Robert Deniro.
Baby Mama with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler
Rock N Rolla with Gerard Butler

Righteous Kill wasn't bad, Al Pacino and Robert Deniro are just fun to watch.

Baby Mama wasn't nearly as funny as I had hoped.

Rock n Rolla is Guy Ritchie's new film. I loved Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Rock n Rolla has a similar story line but I didn't enjoy this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me some!