Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Earth laughs in flowers. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

colorboost
This week I took a lot of shots of flowers.

Sunday night a gaggle of HDTer’s (that is owners of heavy duty trucks) went to Rudy’s for dinner and then Dairy queen for desert. It is great being included in such a terrific group of folks.

Monday morning I went over to Del and Berta’s to get a birding education. Since I’m just becoming a birder there is a lot I don’t know and they are a wealth of information and are so gracious about teaching me.

We found out that there is a Kildeer nest in the field nearby so we went for a look. Kildeer fascinate me. They build their nest right on the ground. If anyone threatening ventures to0 close the parent pretends to be wounded in order to draw the predator towards them and away from the nest.
kildeer
027 [800x600]

Later on that day we ran some errands and then Phil stopped and let me take some shots of the catcus garden that grows wild along the road on Conway.

Tuesday afternoon we had the monthly Ladies Luncheon.
I made pineapple upside down cake.
pineapple upside down cake
The ladies are such gifted cooks!
One gal made a spinach salad with feta cheese and a walnut raspberry dressing and I could have just ate that by itself!

Thursday we made a spaghetti dinner for the gang. There were 14 of us for dinner so we decided to have it at the club instead of at our house.
I made the spaghetti,the meatballs, the salad and the Italian bread. The bread is an Italian beer bread that is just too good for words.
itailanbeerbread
Linda was such a great help. I love how she just jumps in and starts doing things! She made a dessert and everyone else brought something to share. Jim brought deer sausages that were delicious, even though I didn’t find out that the sausages were made from deer until after I had ate them.

spaghttidinnerphotostudiospaghttidinner2photostudio
Friday morning we went and picked the Kenworth up from Angels. I drove the truck home. Phil is always asking me if I want to drive and I usually say no. I don’t know why since it is so much fun to drive.
drivingthetruckphotostudio
We also went to Mexico Friday to pick up some prescriptions. Even though the job prospects aren’t looking promising right now, we still want to have all of our medications on hand and everything else ready to pick up and leave at a moment’s notice.

Saturday Shari and I went to Estero Llano Grande State park. Another part of the World Birding Center. We went on a bird hike with a guide.
Estero Llano Grande Sp28
Estero Llano Grande Sp69

I enjoy that as far as having someone there to point out the birds to me that I’m not familiar with or the ones that I wouldn’t spot on my own but the waiting around for several minutes just hoping to spot a certain species of bird gets old for me.

We saw Benton Basham’s home.

Estero Llano Grande Sp25 Estero Llano Grande Sp26
A top American birding lister.His record is 869 sightings so far.I did enjoy all of the flora and took some beautiful pictures.
Estero Llano Grande Sp64
Estero Llano Grande Sp45
Estero Llano Grande Sp29

They have these interesting totem poles throughout the park.

Estero Llano Grande Sp71 Estero Llano Grande Sp11
We did get to see a few birds. A screech owl.
Estero Llano Grande Sp46
And a Pauraque. This guy is really difficult to see. He was on the ground and he looked like a knot of wood. Very well camouflaged.


This picture is not mine. It’s taken from the World Birding center Website.

I got some terrific photos of the water fowl.
Estero Llano Grande Sp53
Estero Llano Grande Sp58 - Copy
Estero Llano Grande Sp
Estero Llano Grande Sp3

Books this week: Paint it Black by P. J. Parrish
This was a strange murder mystery. I may read his books again but I won't be hunting for them.

Movies this week:
Mummy
Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
Not a good movie, waste of my time.

Calendar Girls. Cute film.

Doubt: Starring Philip Seymour Hoffman and Meryl Streep.
I enjoyed this movie for making me think and for it's beautiful cinematography.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me some!