Sunday, October 25, 2009

Beauty... is the shadow of God on the universe. ~Gabriela Mistral, Desolacíon

lovely tree

I feel bad for people that either don’t see or ignore the beauty that is all around them. I look forward to getting out and really seeing the resplendent world around me.

This week Debra and I went exploring for photo opportunities. It’s great to have someone to run around with that enjoys the same things I do.

Our first stop was Edinburgh, North Dakota where we found a charming General Store.

generalstore

generalstore2

The store was filled with old and new things. I could have spent hours browsing.

general3hershey

coke

I was thrilled to find out that Edinburgh is the bird capitol of North Dakota. The store had a room set aside just filled with bird knick knacks.

bird room

After the general store we drove a couple of blocks to see a sod house. The lady at the general store loaned us a key so we could go inside.

sod house

Sod house 2

Debrame

The first thought I had when we went inside is how blessed we are today. I truly can not imagine living in such a place and yet many, many families did so in the past.

sodhouseinside sodhouseinside2 sodhouseinside3 sodhouseinside4

After the sod house we drove to the Youth Bible Camp and went to a creek crossing that she and her husband Al had found.

Bridge Debra

me

We then drove to Park River to have lunch.

I couldn’t resist taking this picture of this red barn along the way.

redshed

Just look at these golden trees!

golden

The restaurant we went to had great food, but the people stared at us so much that we both felt uncomfortable. Finally when Debra got up to go to the restroom and this man nearly fell out of his chair looking at her, I yelled out “We are from Texas!” I guess I was trying to make it clear that we weren’t from some other universe!

After lunch we drove to the dam and park and walked around some.

I’ve been surprised at how much water there is in North Dakota. Creeks, rivers, lakes, coulees, and wetlands.

Parkriverdam

Can you see the clouds reflecting in the water?

parkriverdamclouds park river park

We then drove back to Walhalla so Deb could see the overlook that Phil and I found last Sunday.

I had to stop and take a picture of this church though. I love churches.

CHurch

We passed a sign for a cemetery, something else I love, and we drove up a dirt road. The cemetery was on our right and there were only about six graves. Debra remarked, “There isn’t anyone here”, which cracked me up.

The graves were taken care of very well as you can see.

gravestone

Look at the dates!

We went to the Masonic Overlook and I took a picture of this sculpture.

masonicoverlook

Looking over the Overlook

walhalla overlook

walhalla overlook2

We then headed back home. On the way we saw this herd of buffalo.

Deb is so good to me. When I see something I want to photograph I slam on the brakes, make a u-turn in the road, or something else equally crazy, but she never says a word!

Buffalo

nd buffalo

Buffalo2

buffalo3

On Friday morning the city of Cavalier gave all of the pipeliner wives and girlfriends a welcome breakfast.IMG_0813

There was about fifteen of us, and a bunch of the local people came.

There were door prizes and a jewelry fashion show.

Debra, the new chief inspector's wife, Darlene, and I went together.

IMG_0814 [800x600]

Everyone won some very nice door prizes and the breakfast was delicious! It was so nice of the town to do this for us. I told you the people here are amazing!

I worked an extra day this week so my week was pretty busy. I did manage to make some cookies though. These are called Mom's Famous GFAIP (Gain Friends and Influence People) Oatmeal Pecan Cookies.

I found this recipe on a food blog that I read.

Everything in Moderation

cookies

1 (18.25 oz. box yellow cake mix (you can use an off brand and it is still delicious)
2 cups quick oats,uncooked
1 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 lg. eggs
1 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Combine first three ingredients in large bowl. Combine oil and eggs; add to dry ingredients, stirring well. Stir in pecans and vanilla.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls, inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet (I used a melon baller for more uniform cookies).

Bake at 350 degrees for twelve minutes or until light brown. Cool on wire rack. Yield: 5 dozen cookies.

Phil worked mainly in the office this week so he didn’t take any pictures.

I won two books this week. I’m still managing to enter most of my contests.

image

image

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me some!