Sunday, October 18, 2009

Eater of Stones, Slayer of Dragons

 

image

I dreamed this phrase this week.  I don’t know why but I woke up with that phrase repeating over and over in my mind.  It must mean something.

This week it snowed again.

snowday3

Debra and I both had cabin fever so we went out for lunch and then drove around a little.  I stopped every so often and took pictures.

The town of Cavalier is all decorated for Fall

DowntownCavalier

snowday4

farb1

A one room school house, between Cavalier and Walhalla

oneroomschoolhouse

The town of Mountain

mountainnd

Mountain CHurch

MTCEMETARY2

MTCEMETARY

We saw this hawk on the telephone lines.  Isn’t he gorgeous?

Hawk3 Hawk Hawk2

Friday, Debra and I were invited up to Neche to meet Kim’s mom and dad.  They live in a charming 100 year old house that they bought in the seventies.

Kims house

Here is Kim isn’t she beautiful and she has the sweetest spirit and she’s funny too!

kim

Her mom and dad were so enjoyable to visit with.  We had a great time!

The beet harvest has been in full swing.  The roads are full of beet trucks, hauling the beets from the farms to the beet collection stations.  They are then loaded onto other trucks and transported to the processing plants.  Several areas have these beet mountains!

beet mountains

Debra and I just had to stop and get a picture, to us it looks like a mountain of rocks but they are sugar beets.

Phil had an interesting week at work.  He watched padding and backfill, unloading and installation of pipeline weights, and bending. He got a lot of experience this week in different areas of inspecting.

Lowering pipes in wetlandsloweringpipeinwetlands

Weight bag installation.  These keep the pipe from floating.

image

Bending

image

See this guy?

Juan

He’s from Mission, also. Several of the workers on this job, including almost the entire Lowering-In crew, from the Foreman on down, are from Mission.  Small world, huh?

I baked a lot this week.  I made an apple crisp that tasted all right, but didn’t really turn out right because my apple crisp pan is at home.  Yes, I have a special pan I bought just to bake my apple crisp in.

The recipe comes from Barefoot Contessa, and it is so delicious.

I also made a banana pudding that everyone seemed to enjoy.

I found a recipe for double stuffed chicken breasts from Rachel Ray that I just had to try.

Double-Stuffed Chicken Breasts

image

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1/2 cup small shell pasta
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • Salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
  • Four 8- to 10-ounce chicken breasts
  • 3 cups store-bought marinara sauce

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta for 4 minutes; drain and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a bowl and add the mozzarella, ricotta, parmesan and 1/4 cup parsley; season with salt.
  2. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs. Place the breadcrumbs in another shallow bowl.
  3. Stuff the pasta-cheese mixture under the skin of each chicken breast. Dip the stuffed chicken breasts in the eggs, roll in the breadcrumbs, then place skin side up on the prepared pan. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the breast registers 165°, about 50 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat the marinara sauce. Serve each breast on a bed of sauce, topped with 1 tablespoon parsley.
These turned out so moist and tasty.  I would season the breasts with salt and pepper and maybe a little garlic, and I think I’ll try alfredo sauce next time.

Today, Phil and I went and did a little sightseeing and enjoyed having the day to spend together.

We rode up to Walhalla, which is the second oldest town in North Dakota.

Whalla

As we came over the hill into town we saw the Masonic Symbol, the Square and Compasses.

squareandcompasswalhalla

There are several overlooks, including the one located just above the Square and Compasses.  We only explored a couple of them.walhalla

I thought these trees were lovely.

Birch

We loved this tractor

walhalla tractor

So that was our week this week.

May God bless you and keep you safe always!

funny-pictures-cat-is-very-lazy

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me some!