Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Christmas Party

Last night, Debbie, my boss from the Pitstop, held her annual Christmas party for her employees at the Market Place on Eighth in Grafton.  I was thrilled to be invited because I had only worked there about three months.  Debbie is one of the most generous, big hearted people that I have ever met.  She bought us a wonderful dinner and drinks and gave us all terrific presents.

Deb

I also got presents from Penny, Nancy, and Teresa.

I got Penny a billfold from the local jewelry store and a gag gift --some North Dakota placemats.  You can tell from her expression how thrilled she was to receive them!

pennygiftpennygift2pennygift3 

Here are Penny and Nancy.

Penny and Nancy

The three of us were drinking Pink Squirrels all night.

I think everyone had a great time. I know I loved my stuffed shrimp that I had for dinner!

Yesterday I watched the snow mobiles zipping up and down our street.  Our street seems to be a popular snow mobile route.  I called Phil while he was on his way home and told him to be careful of them.

image

I would to have really liked to have had an opportunity to ride on a snow mobile and to have gone ice fishing before we left, but it doesn’t appear as if I’ll get to do either of them.  Not that I’m complaining , mind you, I’d much rather be going home!

Friday was my last day at the Pitstop.  I made crab wontons for the girls.  I’m going to really miss everyone here in Cavalier.  The people went out of their way to make me feel at home.

This coming week I’m going to be cleaning and packing in anticipation of leaving for home, possibly next weekend.  Nothing is definite yet, but we have our fingers and toes crossed.

Today we went to Grand Forks to do a little shopping, and I mean a very little, and to look at the Christmas Lights in the park.

Before we got to Grand Forks though, Phil took me to see this “castle” in the middle of nowhere that he found when he was working on the right of way.

Castle out in the middle of nowhere

The Grand Forks Lions Club puts up a display of Christmas lights in a city park, and for a small donation you can drive through the park and look at them.

image

image

image

image image

I didn’t do any special cooking or baking this week.  I did, though, make a local dish that everyone around here is crazy about: Tater Tot Hot Dish.

image

I had never heard of this concoction before coming here to ND , but the way everyone raved about it, I was curious enough to try it out.  It consists of hamburger, green beans, cream of mushroom soup , cheese, and, of course, Tater Tots.  This was not one of my favorites, but at least I tried it.

Books I’ve read the last couple of weeks; I keep forgetting to post them.

Samson’s Walls.

This was a review copy I was sent of a story about Samson and Delilah.

Lost Dog by Michelle de Krester

Man loses dog in the Australian outback. Story is more about him and his road to self-discovery than finding the dog.

Tirissa and the Necklace of Nulidor.

Another review book, this one a fantasy tale for young adults.

Level 26 by Anthony E. Zucker

Written by the creator of CSI. The tale of a serial killer and the detective that he nearly destroyed who has come back to try and stop him from killing someone he loves . . . again.

The Way Home by George Pelecanos,writer and producer of The Wire. Story about fathers , sons and redemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me some!