Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Wind Blew the Cobwebs From My Mind, the Sunshine Dispelled the Shadows.

It’s been a week of gray, rainy days. Not a good week for birding or photography.

Living here in the valley though, the birding and photography opportunities are sometimes as close as right outside my bay window.

loggerheadshirke [800x600]

Or in my window

smudgewindow [800x600]

All of the days sort of run together when we are here in the Valley, so a lot of times I can’t remember on what day such and such happened. Having said that, one day Bonnie came by to tell me about a photo opportunity at what I like to call “Mike’s Folly”, the man made lake on Inspiration Road. There were two Rosette Spoonbills on the banks. I hopped in the car and got a few shots. Unfortunately they didn’t turn out as well as I would have liked.

Roseate Spoonbill3 [800x600]

Roseate Spoonbill [800x600]

They are fascinating birds, with their bright pink bodies and the way they swish their beaks back and forth in the water in order to feed.

One night this week we took Larry and Linda out to dinner. Larry had been so sweet helping Phil install our new electric steps, and he will never let us give him anything for helping, but we did manage to get him to agree to go out to dinner with us.

I had heard of an Italian restaurant, Milanos, that has all you can eat spaghetti for $6.99, and I couldn’t wait to try it. I love family style Italian restaurants.

Milanos2

Milanos Milanos 3

The food was pretty good and the atmosphere was wonderful, as you can probably tell.

Thursday morning I got up early, 6:30 A. M., and went with Dennis to meet up with the birding group from Bentsen Palm RV Resort to go on a birding trip. Two ladies from the park hitched a ride with us. They were so friendly and sweet that I hope I meet up with them again! We went in a convoy of about ten cars to Anzalduas Park.

The day was gray, so all the birds looked washed out. It was difficult for even the experienced birders to make identifications.

It made for a lousy day for photography also but I gave it a shot.

I saw a Black Phoebe, which was a new bird for me and a few other people.

A Vermillion Flycatcher, that was breathtaking.

vermillion flycatcherr5 [800x600]

A Kingfisher that was across the river in Mexico.

kingfisher [800x600]I

I also saw a Harrier’s Hawk and a Red Shouldered Hawk. There were many other birds but I remember those because it was my first time seeing them.

I also saw this squirrel putting on a show for us.

Friday we went to Mexico for my dentist appointment.

Mexican dentist [800x600]

Dr. Carreon was so nice and I was in and out of his office very quickly. I would definitely go see him again.

We didn’t do any shopping in Mexico, just a quick in and out.

Saturday I finally got the fifth wheel clean. It took me a awhile but at least now I can invite people to come inside again.

I had to stop and take a picture of Mr. Whiskers doing his thing.

image

Today was a beautiful birding day! I went over to Bentsen-Rio Grande State Park right after church and stayed until after 4:00 P.M.

My life birds for today were the Olive Sparrow, the Black Headed Grosbeak, the Indigo Bunting, and the Ferruginous Pygmy Owl.

Here are some photos I took during the day.

Mockingbird

Mockingbird [800x600]

Cardinal

Cardinal [800x600]

Indigo Bunting

Indigo Bunting [800x600]

Indigo Bunting 2 [800x600]

Olive Sparrow

Olive Sparrow [800x600]

Golden Fronted Woodpecker

GoldenFrontedWoodpecker2 [800x600]

GoldenFrontedWoodpecker [800x600]

GoldenFrontedWoodpecker3 [800x600]

Synchronized duck butts

So that was my week Can’t wait to see what is in store this coming week!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me some!