Thursday, August 12, 2010

“I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whoever I’m with.” Jimmy Stewart-Harvey

I spent most of the week canning.  I made spiced peaches, just like my mama use to make, with cinnamon and cloves.

Spice Peaches

I also made some delicious tomato relish, a recipe that my stepmom Ann gave me a few years ago.  The tomato relish tastes great on pinto beans, meats, or it can just be eaten it right out of the jar with some tortilla chips.  It was so good that I’m going to make another batch!

Saturday we went to Phil’s sister’s house to celebrate her son’s fifteenth birthday.  One nice thing about being back in Phil’s hometown is being able to attend family celebrations.

Phil and his daughter, Alicia.

Alicie and the man from the mafia

 

On Sunday, Phil and I went to Indiana, PA , which was Jimmy Stewart’s home town.  Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorite actors and “Harvey “ is one of my all time favorite movies.

The town is very old and has a lot of charm to it.

We stopped by the James Stewart Museum.

JImmy Stwewart Plaque 

Then we had a picnic at the Memorial Park, a park dedicated to the soldiers of WWI that Jimmy Stewart’s father help to fund and build.

Doughboy Statue

Doughboy

Doughboy statue

 

  Old Headstone,1835

1835 grave 

Memorial garden plaque 

 

Memorial Park

On the way up Phil and I fell in love with this trike with a small block Chevy V8

Trike with small bock chevy v8

 

 

Sunday night, Phil took me to The Stone House Restaurant & Inn for dinner.

Stonehouse Inn

 

From their website.

http://www.stonehouseinn.com/history.html

One of the original wayside inns along the National Road, the Stone House first opened its doors in 1822 to wagoners and travelers seeking renewed health in the waters of nearby Fayette Springs.

The "Stone House" (formerly Fayette Springs Hotel), was built as a resort in 1822 by the Honorable Andrew Stewart. Stewart was a politician, statesman, and local land baron who rode the wave of prosperity brought on with the opening of the National Road in 1818 which is present day U.S. Route 40 in southwestern PA.

The food was delicious, and the best part is you can sit on the patio, where dogs are welcome.  We didn’t bring Ms. Chloe this time, but next time we definitely will.

Here are a couple of guests having a good time,

Stone house Pooches

I’ve been reading Victoria Laurie’s series. I’ve read “A Psychic Eye Mystery”, which has eight novels so far, and her “Ghost Hunter Mysteries”, which has four novels so far.  Both are interesting and good for an easy read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me some!