Sunday, August 22, 2010

The longer I live, the more beautiful life becomes. Frank Lloyd Wright

No house should ever be on a hill or on anything.  It should be of the hill.  Belonging to it.  Hill and house should live together, each the happier for the other.
Frank Lloyd Wright
Last week Debra and I went to see Kentuck Knob, a house that Frank Lloyd Wright designed for Bernadine and I. N. Hagan on eighty acres, in the mountains east of Uniontown, PA.  Mr. Wright was eighty-six years old at the time he designed the Hagan’s home, and it was one of the last homes he completed.
image
kentuck knob
kentuck knob5
Sundial
The light moves across the patio as the day lengthens and shortens.
kentuck knob2
kentuck knob3
The landscaping is amazing.
Tree Kentuck Knob
The birdhouses made me wish I as a bird for moment.
 Birdhouses Kentuck Knob
Roses on the Overlook
Roses Overlook
Debra and I had lunch at The Summit Inn.  The Summit Inn has hosted guests for more than one hundred years.
 Summit Inn
Summit Inn 2
The food was as good as the atmosphere.
Debra Summit Inn
I’m so grateful that Debra is here.  She is a great friend.
A beautiful fireplace
 Summit Inn Lunch 2
I had to stop and take a picture of this old red barn.
I call this drive-by photography.  You drive until you see something you want to shoot.

Old Red Bard

Phil took me along with him to Indiana, PA to check in materials for the project.  Of course I brought the camera along.
image
I was intrigued by the drive through strip club between Delmont and New Alexandria.
.Climax
Climax2

This has been a busy time for us.  We are having some remodeling done to the fifth wheel (pictures to follow), and Debra and I have been doing a lot of sightseeing.  I’ve also been doing some more canning.  I love it, though.
Debra and I rode out US 40, which use to be called the National Pike, the first major road in the United States.
This old tollhouse is still standing.
image

image
The Fares
image
Seagate Toll House
We both took pictures of this ivy covered barn
image
And this old stone house
image
We were both fascinated with the Fayette County Court House in Uniontown.  Just look at this architecture!
Uniontown Courthouse
Tomorrow is my birthday, so Phil took me out for a lovely dinner on Cheat Lake at Archie’s Lakehouse.
image
Debra and Al met us there for dinner.
image
Inside the restaurant.
image
The view from the deck, where we sat.
image
Debra gave me a beautiful bracelet. It is glass that was fired in a kiln.
image
Baked myself a Red Velvet cake for my birthday.
image
The ducks came to wish me a Happy Birthday.
image
I’m reading a new series this week.
Nice Girls Don't by Molly Harper

2 comments:

  1. Kathy, I love your blog. The photos are great and the stories are so entertaining.

    Happy birthday tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was there!!! Happy Birthday!!!!

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me some!