Sunday, January 9, 2011

And thank you for a house full of people I love. Amen. ~Terri Guillemets

Sometimes our hearts get tangled
And our souls a little off-kilter
Friends and family can set us right
And help guide us back to the light.
~Sera Christann
I really do miss my family and friends.  The only downside to our working and traveling is not being able to see them all as often as I would like.  I am an only child.  My mother and daddy passed on when I was young and my grandmother that raised me died in February 2005 , so I have little family left to me.  They are my step granddaddy, who has been the only daddy I ever had in my life and his wife, who I call Mama Ann, and my two sons.  I also was blessed with two friends who are as close to me as any sisters could be.
The day after Christmas, Phil, Chloe and I drove to Virginia so I could spend some time with my family and friends.
My oldest son, James, who is twenty-one
James
My youngest son, David, who will be twenty this month.
Dj and I
They are thirteen months apart. and couldn’t be more different.
Phil and David
Phil and DJ
Daddy and Mama Ann.
Flyod and Ann
My best friend, Deborah
Deborah
Sharon and me
me and sharon
Chloe wasn’t very nice to Mama Ann.  She kept wanting the whole couch to herself and didn’t want to share.
image
We went to my favorite restaurant, The Mayflower.  David got the crab legs.
image
mayflower
When I went to pick up James I saw these beautiful icicles.
ice 3Iceice 2
I took a picture of James lying in bed and then Photoshopped him into a forest.
james 3












We had a wonderful visit!  Daddy and Mama Ann were so gracious letting us stay with them, and seeing the boys, Deborah and Sharon was terrific.

Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day mean almost non-stop cooking for me, so by the day after New Year’s I’m burnt out for awhile on cooking and baking.
I went to the Kitchen Collection in the mall, though, and found this bread pan, and I just knew I was going to have to try and make a baguette.
image
They turned out wonderful!
image
French Baguettes
Ingredients:
1 cup water
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon water
Directions:
1. Place 1 cup water, bread flour, sugar, salt and yeast into bread machine pan in the order recommended by manufacturer. Select Dough cycle, and press Start.
2. When the cycle has completed, place dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat all sides. Cover, and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes, or until doubled in bulk. Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.
3. Punch down dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll into a 16x12 inch rectangle. Cut dough in half, creating two 8x12 inch rectangles. Roll up each half of dough tightly, beginning at 12 inch side, pounding out any air bubbles as you go. Roll gently back and forth to taper end. Place 3 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Make deep diagonal slashes across loaves every 2 inches, or make one lengthwise slash on each loaf. Cover, and let rise in a warm place for 30 to 40 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Mix egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water; brush over tops of loaves.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

I did not use a bread maker, don't own one, but I did use my Kitchenaid stand mixer with the dough hook.

I won some cool prizes this week.
Look at this Azuri Cashmere Pashmina Shawl from Nimli

126_Almond_ZOOM
And this
Digital Memory Album from Audiovox and Girl Gone Mom
DPF7407WH_MED

Shantel P Earrings

shantel_p_medium

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff! I wish you and all your readers a fantastic 2011!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me some!