Sunday, April 17, 2011

Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet. ~Colette

This week we’ve spent in and out of the vet’s office with all of our fur babies.

First Smudge had cystitis. Then I needed to take Whiskers and Smudge in for their yearly shots.

smudge daddy

 

whiskers vet

 

Then lo and behold Chloe baby gets really sick. We rushed her to the vet where they kept her for two days giving her iv fluids and antibiotics.  She was finally diagnosed with Pancreatitis.

So no more fatty foods for MS Chloe. Sad smile

I’m just glad to have her back home and feeling better. It is so scary when she is lethargic and not acting like herself.

Debra and I went to lunch this week and for another round of what we call drive by shooting. There is so much in the area that lends itself to this hobby.

We started out to Point Marion along the back roads.

On the way we saw some pipe being strung.

Some laborers hard at it.

Always have to stop when we see a red barn

There were three barn cats in the windows that caught my eye.

 

This horse was very curious about us. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a horse so shaggy before.

Old shed getting spruced up by spring.

We finally made it to the restaurant. Apple Annies. The best homemade food and homemade deserts anywhere!

 

 

Apple Annies

apple annies2

apple annies3

Just look at these cookies!

cookies

Such a charming place.

appleannies5

I shot this on the street in Masontown and then used Topaz Adjust on it.

Recipe this week

Carrot Whoopee Pies

carrot whoopie pies

Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies


adapted from Whoopie Pies by Sarah Billingsley and Amy Treadwell

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups grated carrots


Preheat oven to 350 F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment.
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt together.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and both sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl then add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Mix in the vanilla.  Add the dry ingredients and beat just until combined.  Finally, add the grated carrots, beating to distribute evenly.


Chill the batter in the refrigerator for at least one hour.


Using a small cookie scoop (mine measures about 1 1/2 inches across - you'll need to adjust the baking time accordingly if yours is larger), portion the batter onto one of the prepared baking sheets, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart.  Bake (one sheet at a time) for about 12 minutes, or until the cookies spring back when gently pressed.  Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let the cookies cool for 5 minutes then remove the cookies to the wire rack to cool completely.  Repeat with all of the dough, alternating baking sheets.

Makes about 20 sandwiches


Cream Cheese Filling
from
Martha Stewart's Cupcakes
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
6 oz cream cheese, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract


In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add the confectioners' sugar 1/2 cup at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl in between additions.  Beat in the vanilla extract.  With mixer on medium, beat for another minute or so, until the frosting is smooth and fluffy.


Match the cookies in pairs by size.  Transfer the filling to a piping bag and pipe a small amount onto the flat side of one cookie of each pair.  Sandwich the cookies together, and press the filling to the edges.  
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

I have to share with you a new author I discovered.

Spencer Quinn writes a series about Chet the dog and his master Bernie, who is a detective.

The story is told from Chet’s point of view which makes it unique and funny.

image

There are three books so far in the series and my favorite so far is the third one.

image

This is a great series and I can’t wait until the next book comes out.

Chet the dog even has a blog!

http://www.chetthedog.com/

Wins this week

Rhianna Perfume from Mommy PR

image

Photo EQ A photo editing software

http://www.softcolor.fi/photoeq/

 

Marcelle Glass and Brass Gypsy Bracelet

From LuLaandLily's shop and Marias Digital Scraps

 

image

Scentsy warmer from Our Kids Mom and Jana Jacob

image

14 comments:

  1. Love your blog! As an RVer myself (not fulltime) and working in the RV industry I love to see what overs are doing in their travels.

    I'm your newest follower.
    Buffie
    Visit my blogs:
    http://scrappingwithbuffie.blogspot.com/
    and
    http://scrapwithbuffie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to being a full time RV'er one day but right now we are Seasonal's. Beautiful little town and great pix...I've never seen a horse so shaggy either, lol.

    Congrats on being featured I am your newest follower. Have a great Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am already following you GFC, stopping in from the hop. Love your red barn photos. These were exciting and great for us at home adventurers. Following you on twitter now too.

    Stop by and visit at Living at the Whitehead's Zoo sometime.
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am your newest follower from the finding new friends blog hop. I am one of the hosts! Stopping by to say hi! Hope to see ya on all my blogs :)

    http://myowngrocerygame.blogspot.com/

    http://firebutterflyjewels.blogspot.com/

    http://mommysmenuplanning.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, new follower from FUMM hop. Would love for you to visit www.fingerclicksaver.com. That horse reminds me of 1/2 horse 1/2 llama ...he's strange looking but beautiful...all at the same time! I'm stealing your recipe for Carrot Cake Whoopie pies! Carrot cake w/cream cheese frosting is my weakness! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm already a follower, but wanted to stop by and congratulate you on being featured on the Follow Us Monday Morning Hop! :) LOVE the pictures, especially the red barn and barn kitties! :) Have a great week! :)

    Be Lazy or Live a Little - MMMM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable barn cats but that poor horse almost looks like a llama!


    Now following from http://www.babydealsdujour.com/blog
    We track all of the baby daily deals in real time. Would love for you to follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for following Mika's Pantry.
    I'm now following you back!
    ;)
    Mika

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute! Thanks for stopping by and following. I'm now following back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your furbabies are doing okay now, they all look cute and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your blog! Your eye for photographs is amazing. I can never get enough pics of nature / barns / animals. Glad to hear your fur-friends are doing better.

    Thanks for visiting me at A Season for All Things. I'm your newest follower and look forward to reading more of your travels and adventures. ~ Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so didn't know that they made that cake machine. I am so going to look at my kohls.

    I hope you can follow me, as I follow you
    http://granitestatesavers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so didn't know that they made that cake machine. I am so going to look at my kohls.

    I hope you can follow me, as I follow you
    http://granitestatesavers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your wonderful blog I love your adventures..The cake pop machine omg I would love to have one next time I am in Kohls here in California I will be looking for this..Come visit us at Our Creative Hands'
    http://www.ourcreativehands.blogspot.com
    ♥Rachel following from Monday Blog Hop

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me some!