Sunday, May 13, 2012

Birding in Pennsylvania or how I got several life birds in a week.


I was lucky to have gotten bitten by the birding bug when we moved to Mission, Texas in
the Rio Grande Valley, which  is one of the best birding hotspots in the world. There are so many specialty birds of the Rio Grande Valley, those not occurring elsewhere in North America, along with many migrating species that I added birds to my life list weekly of not daily. I was even lucky enough one year to see and photograph a Bare-throated Tiger-Heron, a bird that had never been seen in the states before.
20100102_64 copy
Bare throated Tiger heron
After we came to PA for work two years ago, I didn’t do much birding. I didn’t have the luxury of living next door to the World Birding Center any more and I figured after Green Jays and Kiskadees and Scissortail Flycatchers that there really wasn't  a lot around here to get excited about.
This year though the birding fever hit me again. I’ve found some state parks and a lake and my own backyard to be filled with life birds for me. A life bird is a bird that you have never seen before and that you put on your “life list”
So far this spring I’ve seen the following.
Barn Swallows, these are my favorite birds here so far. So much personality and they fly like Mig jets.
barn swallow 2
The one on the right looks to be laughing, while the one on the left is soooo serious!
Barn swallow laughing
Go get me some nest material now!
barn swallow 3

Brown Thrasher

Brown Thrasher
Eastern Phoebe
Eastern Phoebe
Eastern Towhee
Eastern Towhee April
Eastern Towhee female
Eastern Towhee female
Rose Breasted Grosbeak
Rose Brested Grosbeak

Indigo Bunting

Yellow Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse
Swan
Swan Nemacolin2
Starlings
Starlings
Red Headed Woodpecker
Red Headed Woodpecker 4
Red Bellied Woodpecker
Red Bellied Woodpecker 2
Nuthatch
Nuthatch2
Nuthatch5
Dark Eyed Junco


Gold Finch

Red Tailed Hawk
Hawk
Gray Catbird
Gray Catbird
Great Blue Heron
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Green Heron 2
Orchard Oriole
199 copy
Bluebirds
Bluebirds
Common Grackle
Pittsburgh Zoo 6
Pittsburgh Zoo 15
Robin

Osprey with fish
20110930_62 copy
American Redstart
American Redstart
So these are my life birds so far from Pa. I feel so blessed to have seen all these beautiful birds and to photograph them.

3 comments:

I love comments! Please leave me some!