Sunday, March 30, 2014

A short birding field trip

I’m volunteering at Kleb Woods Nature center two days a week. I’m scanning invoices into the computer from 1914. It is interesting the things that people bought back then.
After volunteering one day I went with a group of people that had came to Fred’s birding class to see if we could find some Golden Plovers.
We drove out to route 529 and around that area.
The rice fields were so pretty

Waller Texas
A Crested Cara Cara watching a hawk
Crested Cara Cara Waller TX
A Hawk with a snake!
Hawk with snake Waller Texas

Dowitcher Waller TX
A Logger Head Shrike, also know as the Butcher Bird because he impales his prey on thorns to eat it.
Loggerhead Shrike Waller TX 3

Loggerhead Shrike Waller TX 2

Loggerhead Shrike Waller TX

The best find of the day, these Sandhill Cranes. My first good look at these beautiful birds.
Sandhill Cranes Herbert Road Waller Texas

Sandhill Cranes Herbert Road Waller TX
The Sand hill Cranes had started their migration back north and I was afraid I had missed seeing them this year, so I was thrilled when we saw these from the road.
Funny story…
We were pulled over the side of the road with our hazard lights on watching the Sand hill Cranes when a state trooper came up to the window to ask if we were alright. After we explained to him we were bird watching, he proceeded to ask us about a bird he had seen. I love when that happens. A non birder finds out you are a birder and immediately starts describing a bird they have seen and wants you to identify it. One person at a time, we will make bird lovers of you all.

Not a bird but I do love old farm equipment.
image

A plane in someone’s yard, you never know what you will see while out for a drive.
image

A Sun Dog
image
Books I’ve read

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me some!