Saturday, April 18, 2009

Happy Birthday My Love, My Best Friend

birthday_graphics_09
Today is Phil’s birthday! We are planning on having a  quite day together. I’m cooking a turkey dinner,his favorite, for him and I’m making his birthday cake which is New Duchess Spice Cake with Comfort frosting.
happy_birthday_new
The frosting is so difficult to make that Phil says if he dies I’ll be devastated until someone reminds me I no longer have to make that darn frosting. It has eggs white, corn syrup, and sugar and you boil it on the stove and then beat it until your arms feel like they are going to fall off.
But it does make the cake taste extra delicious.
We had a nice week this week. Monday I fixed our Easter dinner.
Ham, yams,  deviled eggs, Southern green beans,home made yeast rolls,and German Chocolate cake
easterdinner2
We had Jack and Danielle and Sue over for dinner.
easterdinner
Wednesday morning the Welcome committee met for the last time this season so I baked a coffee cake. this recipe was given to me from this sweet lady in Sedro-Woolley, WA. It’s the best coffee cake I’ve ever eaten.
coffeecake

I took a couple of shots of the boys this week, just being themselves.
smudge whiskers

I love how Smudge acts like Whiskers tastes funny.
Thursday we had a combination birthday party and goodbye party for Phil and Dave and Doug and Jutta. Phil and Dave both had a birthday this week and Doug and Jutta are leaving.
We had finger foods and I made a from scratch white cake with white frosting. Phil said the cake was a keeper so I’ll be baking that one again.
whitecake
dave2
Dave getting ready to celebrate!
birthday
birthdayparty3
Somehow the guys and gals always end up being separated at these gatherings. I don’t like it but what can you do?
I was fascinated that Shari ate her entire meal with chopsticks. Even the ice cream!

Friday we went to Falcon State Park. I’ve been wanting to go for awhile. We had a nice drive up there, it takes about an hour and a half to get there.
Now that the season is over the place is pretty desolate but it was pleasant having the place all to ourselves.
I got some terrific photos of a road runner. The first I have ever seen.
I made a slideshow with sound to share.

I got some other lovely shots around the park.
falconstatepark

catcusbloomfalconstatepark2
falconstatepark5 falconstatepark9
Well, I got the cake frosted, and I’ve got to tell you, I LOVE the internet! I found a recipe online to make the frosting using the microwave! And it works! The frosting turned out beautifully and without the candy thermometer or the double boiler or the beating, beating , beating. I am in love with this recipe.
Here is the finished cake.
Birthday Cake
Happy Birthday, my love. Thank you for letting me share your life this year and every year!
Song pick of the week:
Fear by Lilly Allen

Movies this week
Yes Man starring Jim Carrey. Cute comedy
Bedtime Stories  starring Alan Sandler funny children’s film

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me some!