Saturday, April 4, 2009

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.

I have become a birder. A watcher of birds. I’m not exactly sure how that happened. Living here in the Rio Grande valley, bird watching just sucks you in.

Last Sunday I spent thirty minutes sitting under a tree waiting for a Beardless-Tyrannulet . This is a rare bird for this area, as it is mainly seen in Mexico and Central America. I wasn’t even sure what I was looking for, since I don’t own a bird book yet.


I went over to Bentsen-Rio Grande State Park, the headquarters of the World Birding Center. We live very close to the park, and you just find yourself becoming fascinated with all of the different species of birds that are found here in the valley.


Quote from their site: “Birders across the nation know “Bentsen” as a treasure trove of “Valley specialties” – those birds found nowhere else in the United States but deepest South Texas – and “Mexican vagrants” – rare visitors from across the Rio Grande.”

So as I said, it sucks you in.


I spent some time at the Hawk Tower and took some decent pictures there
.


Hawktower
hawktower2

This is a Resaca, which are former channels of the Rio Grande that serve as habitats for waterfowl, beaver, nutria, various species of amphibians and reptiles, including alligators, and various species of fish.

reseca


The park has several of these resacas. I think they are beautiful.

This is a picture of a retama tree. I wish you could smell this tree. The smell is captivating!


retama


Tuesday we had a potluck for Jack and Danielle, who are going to be leaving the Village soon. A lot of people have left already, heading back north.

potluck jackanddanille

I made a chocolate bread pudding, something new for me. I knew that Danielle loves chocolate and Jack loves bread pudding, so it seemed like the perfect desert for them. It turned out fantastic. Very good warm out of the oven.

chocolate bread pudding

Found another new song that I love



Wednesday we had computer class. Yvonne and Sue showed up. I was kind of proud of myself because I know nothing about Macs, which Sue has, and she wanted to learn how to resize her pictures to send in emails. I was able to figure it out. Phil was helping Yvonne getting her pc to run faster.


sueandyvonne

I was anxious to get back over to the park to see if I could spot the Beardless-Tyrannulet. I rode the tram, and while riding I got to talking to this gentleman that was looking for the same bird. Since I knew where the nest was and he wasn’t quite sure, we got off the tram together. He has a wonderful camera with a huge lens, and yes, I was jealous. We spotted the pair of them, male and female.

Here is their nest.


nest

Here is my picture of the Beardless-Tyrannulet.

tyranulantzoom


And here is Phil the photographer’s picture!

040109p0035f

Wow, huh? Did I mention how jealous I am? He was kind enough to email me a copy of the male and female.

That is the male and here is the female.


040109p0052f

They have the sweetest call too.

Thursday, my Phil and I had to run some errands. Our neighbor, Dennis, had mentioned that the Scissortail Flycatchers were around and that you could spot them on utility wires. I grabbed my camera, hoping that maybe while we were out I would see one. Well, my dear, sweet hubbie went out of his way to try and help me find one, and we did! He spoils me so badly. Here is the Scissortail Flycatcher.

scissiortail

I love this Pink Song, Sober


Saturday we went to the Onion Festival in Weslaco. A gang of Village people went together. Yvonne rode with us. They have tons of food venders and music. Yvonne and Echo got a turkey leg!


yvonneecho

I just wanted the Onion Blossom.

onion festival

The biggest attraction though are the Mexican Dancing horses. I was disappointed that they were performing behind a chain link fence, but what can you do? They were beautiful to watch, The riders and horses are so talented!


mexican dancing horses
mexican dancing horses3 mexican dancing horses2
mexican dancing horses4
mexican dancing horses5
mexican dancing horses7
mexican dancing horses6

Magnificent!

Books this week: Still reading Lillian Braun Jackson cat series.

Movies this week:
Autumn Hearts: Story of World 2 concentration camp survivors meeting years later.

Marley and Me: Tearjerker about a man and his dog. I loved it though, tears and all.

Websites this week:
http://icanhascheezburger.com/ My all time favorite time waster!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me some!