Sunday, February 7, 2010

You can’t stop the waves but you can learn to surf

The title of this week’s blog is from a fortune cookie I got from a Chinese restaurant this week.

Well, we didn’t leave Saturday. When it rained Wednesday night, we discovered we had a leak in our roof over the bathroom.  We have to get that fixed here, because it can’t be worked on in February in Pennsylvania.

Also, Pennsylvania got hit by that winter storm, and it seems that they are expecting more snow this coming week, so we aren’t sure when we are leaving now.

Monday we went over to Mexico to stock up on some more prescription medications, and to get my eyes retouched.  I had permanent eyeliner done while we were in North Dakota, but the girl left town before it was finished. There was a very clean looking salon in Nuevo Progresso that advertised permanent eyeliner, so I popped in and got them touched up.  At least they are even now!

Tuesday, I baked Sheri a Mounds cake for her birthday on Wednesday.  It was the same cake as the Almond Joy cake I made her last year, but without the almonds.  I also made six jars of pepper jelly, one for me and five to give away.

Wednesday Jutta and I  went out to a fabulous Chinese restaurant for lunch, then that afternoon we had a birthday get together for Sheri and a good bye for Phil and me.  I’ve been so busy packing and cleaning that I haven't carried my camera anywhere this week, so I don’t have any pictures of the gang or of the community cookout we had on Friday.

The neat thing about the community cookout this month was that Dale had arranged for the Elements, a Sweet Adeline quartet, to come and sing for us.  They sang beautifully.

I was thrilled when I received an email from Fred V.  He was the fellow from New Jersey that helped me take photos of the Bare-Throated Tiger Heron back in January.  I had written him, thanking him and telling him we would be in PA for the summer, and inquiring if he knew of any good birding spots. He wrote me back and even sent me his photo of the Tiger Heron to post on my blog…so here he is…Fred V’s Tiger Heron.

image 

Beautiful!

More cleaning and packing, then today I couldn’t stand it any more.  I grabbed my camera and went to the park.

There wasn’t a lot going on bird wise, but I got a couple of decent shots.

Indigo-BuntingOriole Northern-Cardinal-in-flight

These two Javelinas were snarling and showing their teeth at each other.  I was thinking we were in for a Javelina rumble, but the one on the right backed down.

Javalinas

Indigo-Bunting-Cardinal

I haven’t stopped reading, I just keep forgetting to post what I’ve been reading.  I’ve been reading Down and Dirty Birding, a hilarious but informative book on birding.

A Necessary Evil by Alex Kava

The Mummy Case by Elizabeth Peters

I’m not sure what this week will bring . . . guess I’ll have to learn to surf!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous of the wonderful birding you have.

    I'm kinda intrigued with the permanent eyeliner but it sounds like it would really hurt!!!

    I've tried pepper jelly and that is so good!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me some!