Monday, January 24, 2011

If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance

 

Sunday, Phil, his mom, Joan, and I went to Ligonier to the Ice Sculpting Festival.  We braved the fourteen degree temperatures, Joan and I in our long johns and layers, Phil just toughing it out.

I had never seen ice sculpting before and it is fascinating to watch these artists carve out a chunk of ice with a chainsaw into something beautiful.

image

image

 

image

image

image

image

image

image

image

Phil said they really needed to pick another font for this sign.

image

image

We had a great time even as cold as it was.  I couldn’t believe it when I saw this little guy enjoying an ice cream cone, though!

image

I fell in love with this dog, of course.

dog

I made some Cookie Dough Truffles this week.

I found the recipe after I had made my Christmas candy, so I didn’t get to put them into my cookies tins.

I decided to make them this week to go with dinner one night.

image

Cookie Dough Truffles

from Annies-Eats

8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
2¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
1½ lb. semisweet (or bittersweet) chocolate, coarsely chopped
Mini chocolate chips (for garnish)
Cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about two minutes.  Beat in the flour, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla until incorporated and smooth.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the mixture is firm enough to form balls.

Shape the chilled cookie dough mixture into one inch balls.  Place on a wax paper-lined baking sheet and freeze for 1-2 hours.
When ready to dip the truffles, melt the chopped chocolate in a double boiler (or in the microwave at 50% power, stirring frequently).  Using a toothpick, dip each chilled truffle, one at a time, coating in chocolate and letting the excess drip off. (If the cookie dough balls become too soft, return them to the freezer to chill for 30 minutes.)  Transfer the dipped truffles to a wax-paper lined surface. If using mini chocolate chips for garnish, sprinkle on top quickly after dipping each truffle before the chocolate sets.
Store in the refrigerator and serve cold.  These can also be frozen for longer storage.  Makes about five dozen.

I didn’t like them as well as the Oreo Truffles, but I will say that they are much better by the second day.

I won three things this week.

Vintage Paper Pink Moth Domed Resin Pendant

image

A fifty dollar gift certificate red envelope that I used to buy myself a

Gorrillapod

image 

 

Media Library binder from Snapware and http://www.amomstake.com/

imagehandler.ashx

This is to store DVDs or CDs.

That;s it for this week. Smile

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures Kathy! Those ice sculptures are marvelous!

    Thanks so much for dropping by the Be-Bop-A Blog Hop! I'm a follower and I hope you'll stop by again soon! Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh, those truffles look awesome! Will have to give it a try :) Thanks so much for entering our giveaway today! Good luck ♥ Ruby

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me some!