Monday, February 7, 2011

Trying to maintain order during a legalized gang brawl involving 80 toughs with a little whistle, a hanky and a ton of prayer. -Anonymous referee, explaining his job

Man, what a week! Super Bowl Sunday, a surprise Penguin game and Phil’s mom’s 75th birthday celebration!
First, Phil surprised me with tickets to the Penguin Hockey Game!
We took his mom and daughter with us, both of whom are huge hockey fans.
Consol Energy Center.
Consol
The center is beautiful and there isn’t a bad seat in the whole place, unless you were trying to watch the game from the restroom.
The Penguins were playing the Buffalo Sabres.  Here they are warming up.
Penguins
The game was fast and furious.  The Sabres scored 17 seconds into the game.  Yep, you read that right, 17 seconds!
penguins2
But our Pens ended up beating them.  Yippee!
Pens
This is Iceburgh, the Penguin mascot.  He is a real cutie.
Icebergh
Yes, that is my husband…sigh
phil penguins
Alicia
alicia penguins
We all brought our Terrible Towels to show our support for the Steelers on Sunday.
Terrible towel
Ever since I met Phil and he brought me to Pittsburgh, I have wanted to try a Primanti Brothers sandwich, a local favorite. Roast beef, cole slaw, and french fries, all in one sandwich.  There was a Primanti Brothers in the arena so Joan treated me to one.
Pri,anti

primanti sandwhich
I’m glad I got to try it, but it’s not something I would eat again.  It was far more bland than I had expected.
Saturday night we took Phil’s mom to Olive Garden for her birthday.
She doesn’t look anywhere close to 75!
Joan
me and joan
Sunday we went to Phil’s sister Leigh’s house for his mom’s birthday party.  I had this cake specially made for her from Shop N Save.

Old poop cake
It says,”Happy Birthday you old poop!!
Thank goodness she has a terrific sense of humor.
Phil, his mom, and his brother, Jim.
jimjoanphil
Joan getting ready to blow out her candles.
joan birthday
As you can see most everyone was dressed in black and gold. It was a real disappointment that the Steelers lost.
image
Even Ms. Chloe was sad.
This weeks recipe is for Prime rib
I made this with the Au Jus for me and without for Phil.
Roast beef
Prime Rib
Rub roast with olive oil salt pepper, meat tenderizer, garlic salt
Slice onions and place roast and onions in roaster.
.. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Allow meat to warm to room temperature by removing it from the refrigerator at least one hour before roasting.  Coat roast with salt and pepper to taste.  Place the roast in a large roasting pan, bone side down.  Roast for fifteen minutes.  Turn the heat down to 325 degrees and continue to roast for an hour to one hour and 15 minutes for medium-rare doneness. Remove meat to a carving board and let rest.  Place roasting pan on top of stove over high heat.  Add the wine and cook, stirring and scraping up any brown bits and reduce.  Add stock and reduce by half, season with salt and pepper.  Slice meat and pour on some of the sauce.
Au jus sauce
Beef drippings with onions
Tomato juice
Red wine
Brown sugar
This is the best prime rib I have ever eaten.
So that was our week.  A lot of fun and excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me some!