Sunday, January 11, 2009

Happy Days

We had another great week this week.

Monday Jutta and I went and got our haircut. We did get a little peeved when we went into Fantastic Sam's for the advertised price of $12.95 for a haircut and they wanted $2.00 dollars more because we have long hair. Nowhere was it stated that longer hair costs extra! So we left and I know I won't be going back. We found another place that was open and cheaper and the girl did a decent job. I only got my ends trimmed so that wasn't a major change but Jutta got quite a bit cut off and her hair looked really good.

Tuesday we went to Mexico with Mark and Dale.


They were going for dental work and we needed flea medicine for the cats. I also wanted to pick up some chocolate liqueur to make chocolate martinis on Valentines Day. There were a lot more vendors out on the streets this time, and a lot more soldiers at the north end of the street, too.

I took a picture of the restaurant where I got sick the last time because people are always asking me for the name of the restaurant and I can never remember. Here's the culprit:





Needless to say I'll never eat in Mexico again, if I can help it. We came back to the States and stopped at Chili's for lunch.

I learned a couple of new things this week. I'd been seeing King Roll cakes in the grocery stores here and I had no clue what they were because we don't have them in the stores back home, so I had to look it up.



A king cake (sometimes rendered as kingcake or kings' cake) is a type of cake associated with the festival of Epiphany in the Christmas season in a number of countries. The Mexican “rosca de reyes” has an oval shape. For decoration, Mexican people use dried and candied figs, quinces, cherries, etc.

The other thing I learned was about Chupacabras. I was watching Leverage, a new TV show, when someone mentioned Chupacabras, so again I went and looked it up. These are "goat suckers", legendary creatures that have been reported in Puerto Rico (where these sightings were first reported), Mexico, and the United States. Ugly little critters, aren't they?



Wednesday we went on the tour that Mike Rhodes gives to the people of Bentsen Palm Village RV Park and Retama Village. A few years ago Mike and his wife bought up a lot of land here along the Rio Grande.



Mike has a real vision of how he wants things here in the valley: http://bentsenpalm.com/vision.php

The tour took about 2 1/2 hours and Mike does a terrific job telling about the local history. This was Zachary Taylor's house during the Mexican War.



The ride on his vehicle is fun but a little hairy at times.



Thursday I worked out and we had computer class. This will probably be our last class for awhile. We've enjoyed having the classes but someone more qualified wants to take over and we both think it's a good idea.

Friday I cleaned house and later Phil and I went up to the pool for a swim. Living here is like having "date night" every night!

Saturday I cooked all day, we had Larry and Linda over for dinner and I made a peach cobbler. It was the first time I'd used this recipe, and I think I'm going to have to tweak it a little. It was good, but it needs something. Larry and Linda are a lot of fun. We really enjoy talking with them. They were among the first to welcome us to Mission and to make this feel like home to us.


Today we watched church and then took Miss Chloe on a long walk. We are going to make a lemon meringue pie this afternoon during the Steelers game (GO STEELERS!!!). Phil's crust is to die for, and my pie filling isn't too shabby either.

Movies This Week: Run Fatboy Run
A British comedy that was kinda amusing.

Books This Week: Storming Heaven by Kyle Mills
Close Enough To Kill
By Beverly Barton
Copy Kat By Karen Kijewski

Three decent mysteries.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me some!