Sunday, February 22, 2009

He who trims himself to suit everyone will soon whittle himself away.

Today's quote is from Raymond Hull.

I admit I am an affirmation junkie. But I'm try
ing -- really trying -- to change. That is my goal for next week!

This week was not as hectic as it has been lately, but we were still busy. Tuesday I went to the Ladies Luncheon that we have once a month here at the Village. I made a carrot cake, chicken salad, and a sweet onion casserole.











All of the food is delicious, and it is so much fun to try new dishes.

Thursday I went to a sewing class. I had the not so bright idea of making a casserole dish cover, since we attend so many potlucks. It was a good idea, but my sewing skills are so terrible that I ended up getting frustrated and feeling very inadequate. A couple of the ladies were helping me, and I was grateful for their expertise and patience! From now on, though, I am only attempting very simple sewing projects. I still haven't finished it, but hopefully I will be done with it by this next week.

Thursday night we had a farewell potluck for Dale and Mark. They left Saturday morning for Pensacola, Florida. We met up at the clubhouse. I had asked Dale what her favorite dessert was, and she said bread pudding. That was a great idea, because I have my Mama's recipe for bread pudding, and I personally think it's a good one.



I also made macaroni and cheese. This recipe I wasn't impressed with at all. It turned out very bland, even though it had 5 different kinds of cheese in it. I won't be making that one again.
We will miss Dale and Mark so much. They are just neat people that we have enjoyed getting to know.

Friday morning we moved the stuff that we had in our rented coach house over to our owned coach house. I have to tell you that we still have too much stuff! I am so grateful that we have the coach house now to keep our junk in while we are traveling, so that we don't have to lug it with us. I don't have to tow that storage trailer either, yea! I was hoping that while he was off work and we were wintering here in the Village that we would weed through some of this mess and downsize some more, but we've been so busy playing that it never happened.

Friday afternoon our neighbors, Greg and Barb and Phil and I went to Rancho El Charco. Located in La Joya, this 150 acre wildlife park, with a bordering 75 acre lake, is one of the last patches of brush country remaining in the lower Rio Grande Valley. We took the wagon ride tour and had dinner at the restaurant on the lake.



One of the first things you see as you enter the park is this sign, which I love:



We took the wagon tour through the park. It's about a thirty minute ride with a short stop at a swinging bridge with waterfalls.













It is a lovely place that I'd like to go back to again.

Books this week: Day of the Dead by J.A .Jance

Movies this week: Eagle Eye starring Shia LaBeouf
Forgetting Sarah Marshall starring Jason Segel
Body Of Lies starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe

I enjoyed Eagle Eye, fun movie with some nice special effects.

Wasted my time with Forgetting Sarah Marshall but I knew better. It's another movie that only fifteen year olds would enjoy.

Body of Lies I liked a lot. Good story, good characters and lots of action and suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me some!