Sunday, October 4, 2009

People don't change. Only their costumes do. ~Gene Moore


Well, I did some major changes this week. I’ve been coloring my hair black for 25 years and Phil and I decided that it was time to go back to my natural color, which he had never seen except in pictures!

I made an appointment and Tuesday morning I went in, and 5 hours later………….

newme

I also did something I never dreamed I would do. I got permanent eyeliner tattooed onto my eyes! Crazy, huh? My mother-in-law had it done a couple of years ago and she looked terrific but I never thought I would do it because usually it is insanely expensive. But this pipeliner’s wife is in town working at the local salon and she had a heck of a deal so I did it! It was painful but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. And now I never have to put on eyeliner again.

The other change was the weather! Holy long underwear, Batman!

BatmanRobin

We went from a sunny warm day to waking up to cold and rain.

Phil is outside working in the cold and wet and mud. The mud here is like a clay substance that sticks to everything!

Here are a few pictures Phil took of the work he is watching

Lowering in pipe

sideboom moving pipelowering in a roadcrossing

Preheating the pipe for sandblasting prior to coating

Heating the pipe

In other news:

I won another book this week.

BeattheReaper_yellow

So between the local library which is small but has a good selection and the books I keep winning, I have no shortage of reading materials!

Debra and Al invited us for dinner this evening for Sukkot , which is the Feast of the Tabernacles. It is named for the huts (sukkah) that Moses and the Israelites lived in as they wandered the desert for 40 years before they reached the Promised Land.

Debra had their place decorated with lights and fall decorations.

debra and me

PhilandAL

She lit the candles and said the blessing or the Kiddish over the wine and her and Al said the Challah Blessing over the bread.

Debra

We had a wonderful dinner of cabbage rolls stuffed with lamb. Steak and mashed potatoes,couscous, a bean salad and the deviled eggs and buttermilk honey bread that I brought.

I had never had lamb prepared that way and I really liked it. The couscous I think I’d have to get use to, maybe.

I also made another carrot cake this week, this one for a girl I work with and I made a bread pudding and a Red Velvet cake to take to work.

Years ago when I worked at Western Sizzling, a little old lady gave me her recipe for Red Velvet cake. This is my favorite cake and one that I make for my birthday almost every year. I lost the recipe though a few years back and I’ve tried several other Red Velvet recipes but none were as good as the one I got from that little old lady. This week, though, I found another one and this was was it! This cake turned out moist and delicious, perfect!

image

Red Velvet Cake

From Anne’s Eats

Ingredients
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 tsp white vinegar
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
5/8 ounce bottle red food coloring
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350F. Line the bottom of two 9-inch round cake pans with parchment paper. Cream the eggs, sugar, oil and vinegar. Sift the cake flour, baking soda, and cocoa together. Add the flour mixture to the creamed ingredients while beating. Slowly add the buttermilk. While still beating, add the vanilla and the food coloring. Pour into prepared cake pans and bake for about 25 minutes. Press lightly; if the layers are spongy, then the cake is done. Frost the cooled layers, assemble and frost the top and sides.

Red Velvet Cake Frosting
Ingredients:
1(8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1 (1 pound) box confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Combine the cream cheese and butter in a small mixing bowl and soften in the microwave. Add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla and mix well. If the frosting becomes too thick, add a little milk. Frost one 8-inch or 9-inch layer cake.

Not much else happened this week. We both worked and spent time together when we could and that’s about it.

To see what I’ve read and watched this week click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me some!