Sunday, November 22, 2009

Don't lay any certain plans for the future it is like planting toads and expecting to raise toadstools. John Billings

 

Phil finally bought a “new to us”  2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD. The 1996 GMC that he’s had for nearly eleven years has been in and out of the shop since we got here to Cavalier, so he found a truck online that had everything we wanted, including a sun roof!

4023384070_a37413c341_b 4023376514_a8dc10e201

It’s being shipped from South Carolina, so we won’t be actually driving it for a few weeks yet.

Tuesday we invited Kim and Steve for dinner.

Steve works with Phil.  He’s an inspector.  Kim is my new BFF. :)  She is the one that created the “new” me, and we hit it off like ham and eggs! She is one of the few people that “gets” me.

We had a lovely dinner, but the hit was Grandma Bailey’s yeast rolls!image

½ cup lukewarm water

1 Pkg yeast

½ cup butter

1 cup boiling water

1 tsp salt

1/3 cup sugar

1 cup cold water

2 eggs

7 cups flour

Pour boiling water over sugar salt and butter.  Stir to dissolve.  Add cold water, softened yeast, and beaten eggs.  Beat well.

Add three cups flour and beat until smooth.  Add rest of flour.  Turn out onto floured board and work into a soft dough.  Put dough in well greased bowl.  Set bowl in pan of warm water; let rise till double in bulk.  Turn out onto floured board and knead lightly.  Let rise again ‘til double.  Make into rolls; let rise again.  Bake at 375° for fifteen minutes

You cannot even begin to imagine how good these are with butter melting all over them.

 

image

The key is letting them rise three times. That is what makes them so light and yummy.

Thursday Debra and I went off exploring.  We rode over to Langdon, but there was really nothing there.  We had lunch at a dreadful restaurant, then stopped by the bakery.  I wanted to try the lefse, which is a traditional soft Norwegian flatbread, but they had sold out that morning.

We then rode through the community of Svold.  There was a creepy looking old house.

image

I was thrilled to see a junkyard full of old cars.

image

Studie Swold-1

We saw several of these statues along the road in driveways.  Debra and I both found them to be very creepy!

image

We then rode over to Hallock, Minnesota.  We looked around in a couple of stores, but neither of us saw anything that we wanted.

We did take pictures at the gazebo.mehallcok-1

 

Debra-1

As my friend Kim would say, “Aren’t we sassy?”

Thursday evening I made Pumpkin Bars.  Deb at work said she was dying for some.  I had never made any before -- pumpkin is not my favorite thing -- but I gave them a try.  They turned out really well.  I had plenty to share also.

Friday night Phil and I went to dinner with Kim and her parents, Lee and Linda, to Altona, Manitoba.  We ate some terrific pizza.  One was pepperoni and one had a white sauce with chicken, bacon, cheese and tomato.  It was so delicious.

Today Phil and I enjoyed spending the day together.  We miss each other a lot while he is working these long hours!

I won a necklace this week from Joolwee.

image 

I’m probably going to have to stop entering contest since it’s getting close to time for us to go home.  I still haven’t received some of the prizes I have won and I’m not sure they will get here before we leave.

Anyway, this week is Thanksgiving, which is Phil’s favorite holiday.  I think I have everything to make this years Thanksgiving dinner, just as if we were home.  I’m hoping a couple of the guys he works with will join us for dinner.

To all of you, please have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and remember to thank God for all the blessings He has given us!

May those that love us, love us.
And those that don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles
So we will know them by their limping.
~Irish Blessing

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me some!