Sunday, February 28, 2010

I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead; I lift my eyes and all is born again Sylvia Plath

I’ve been fascinated lately with the thought of how trusting I am to give myself over to sleep, to be unconscious for several hours while the world goes on.  Edgar Allen Poe said, “SLEEP - Those little slices of death, how I loathe them.”  And yet I love to sleep, to nap, to dream.  I just don’t like being unconscious while I do so.
This week was total downtime for me.  Phil had to fly to Houston for training and was gone two nights. So the dog, the cats, and I just hung out watching a Rescue Me marathon and reading.  None of us are happy when Daddy isn’t home.
Phil got back on Thursday and slept most of the day and night.
Saturday afternoon we went to Reading to the outlets.  This outlet has seventy-five name brand stores.  Now, to let you know how atypical a girl I am, I only went into one store, immediately went and grabbed two pair of slacks, tried them on, and that was all of the shopping that I did.  Phil did buy him some slacks for work and some Jax Cheese Puffs at the Bachman store.
Later that evening he took me to the Glass Lounge in Harrisburg.

This is the most unassuming looking bar/restaurant you've ever seen.  But the food?  Wow!  Phil got a porterhouse that covered his plate and I got the seafood platter.  The place was packed, too, so I guess people from the area know about the terrific food, even if the place itself doesn’t look like much.


Today we had snow, sleet, and rain mixed but we still decided to do a little sightseeing.

We drove to downtown Harrisburg.  Phil and I both love bridges and trains, so the railroad bridge was a treat for us.
image 
In the middle of the Susquehanna River sits a twenty-five foot replica of the Statue of Liberty.

The replica was built by a local activist, Gene Stilp, on July 2, 1986; it was made of venetian blinds and stood eighteen feet (5.5 m) tall.  Six years later, after it was destroyed in a windstorm, it was rebuilt by Stilp and other local citizens, of wood, metal, glass, and fiberglass and was twenty-five feet tall.
We then drove over to see the state capital, a beautiful building.

I also got my bird fix for the week when we saw these Ring Billed Gulls playing in the snow in the Kmart parking lot.




So another week gone.  We are hoping to be in Waynesburg some time this coming week.
Books this week:
Nightlife by Rob Thurman
Exit Music by Ian Rankin
Sail by James Patterson

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me some!