Friday, January 30, 2015

Santa Ana Wildlife Refuge

I met up with Mildred and Charles Langston to go birding at Santa Ana Wildlife Refuge on Sunday.
Mildred and Charles are two lovely people that I met at Quinta Mazatlan and who I met with at the song bird banding at McAllen Nature center.



Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge is internationally recognized as 'a birder's paradise.'
It's 2,088 acres of subtropical thorn forest are home for numerous birds that are south Texas specialties.
Santa Ana was established in 1943 for the protection of migratory birds,

We got there a little late for the guided bird walk but we managed to catch up with the group eventually and join them. We got some great looks at some water birds and two beautiful hawks, a Red Shouldered and a Harris Hawk.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me some!