Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Breathless, we flung us on a windy hill, laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass. -- Rupert Brooke

I’m still loving our summer in Pennsylvania, even the heat and the storms.  I’ve always loved thunderstorms, though, the air so thick and heavy before they come, the sound of the booming thunder, the flashes of lightning.  We had a doozy of one this morning and Phil came in and held me while we listened to the sound of the rain on our roof, another part of storms that I love.

Every Sunday, on Phil’s day off, he’s been taking me for a drive somewhere.  Last Sunday we went to BeaveRun Motorsports Park with Alicia to watch the Vintage Grand Prix race.  1960’s and 70’s legends raced the twelve turn, 1.5 mile track.  Mini Coopers, old Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, BMWs and Jaguars showed that they may be old but there was still plenty of power under the hood.

  Beaver Run 3

 Beaver Run 4

Beaver run1

Beaver Run 2

The Winners Circle

winners circle

I couldn’t resist taking a picture of this swallowtail near the track.

 Black Swalowtail

 

Phil called me this week to tell me he had spotted a bird out his office window, so I drove over to take some photos.

It was a Northern Mockingbird.

 flycatcher1

 flycatcher2 

Today we picked Phil’s mom up and went for a ride.  We drove up to Lake Lynn Dam, a hydroelectric dam near Point Marion, PA, then over to Morgantown, WV.

Here is the dam and a shot of Joan, Phil’s mom, that I didn’t even realize I had gotten.  Be careful . . . she’s closer than she appears!

 

Joan

Some wildflowers

some wild flowers 

Phil thought I was crazy to want to take a picture of this old building, but I loved it.

20100725_42

Another one

shed

Phil remembers this stone Indian being in another location when he was young.  It stands now looking north on US 119 near Dunbar, PA.

 

 Stone Indian 2

 Stone Indian

Another shot of the sky from the convertible.

convertible sky

 

Reading the Undead series by Mary Janice Davidson. These are hilarious books so if you get a chance pick them up. A warning though, there is some sexual content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please leave me some!