Sunday, April 28, 2013

Matagorda County Birding and Nature Center


The Matagorda County Birding Nature Center spans 34 acres on the Colorado River and includes nature trails, bridges, wetland areas, wooded areas and prairie areas and it is only about 30 mins away from me.
Debra and I went and we enjoyed walking the many trails and seeing all the birds and flowers.

Matagorda Birding Center16 (1 of 1)

Matagorda Birding Center 20132

Matagorda Birding Center 20133

Matagorda Birding Center 20134

Matagorda Birding Center 20135


Matagorda Birding Center 20137

Matagorda Birding Center 20138

Matagorda Birding Center 20139


Matagorda Birding Center 201311

Matagorda Birding Center 201312

Matagorda Birding Center 201313

Matagorda Birding Center 201314

Matagorda Birding Center 201315

Matagorda Birding Center Eurasian collared dove

The most exciting thing of the day was when I watched this Mockingbird chasing this snake through the grass.
Mocking Bird and snake Matagorda County

He would hop up and then dive back down to harass the snake. The snake was moving fast across the ground. The Mockingbird kept chasing the snake until the snake got to a tree, then the Mockingbird flew into the tree and fussed at the snake. After looking at the photo on my pc after getting home, the snake looks like a rattle snake. I started running towards the snake when I first saw this hoping for a better photo, until good sense prevailed and I realized I was running towards a SNAKE! :)


Books I’ve been reading
image

image

2 comments:

  1. how fabulous. . .born and bred Texan from Houston area. . .didn't even know it existed. . .thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From your photos this looks like an awesome place.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please leave me some!